Man fractured brother's jaw in Cannock street fight

A man who knocked his own brother out in a street brawl, fracturing his jaw and shattering his teeth, has been spared an immediate stint behind bars - and the pair walked out of the courtroom hugging.

Man fractured brother's jaw in Cannock street fight

Town centre security cameras captured Richard Jarvis head-butting his brother Stuart and then punching him to the face.

The blow sent 36-year-old Stuart crashing unconscious face down to the floor near The Court Yard on High Green, Cannock, with his jaw fractured and teeth broken.

It happened against the background of a bitter family row following the recent death of their mother, said Mr Neil Ahuja, prosecuting, at Stafford Crown Court.

During the fracas on January 30, Richard also attacked his brother's friend, Frankie Hutton, who was also punched to the face.

Richard, aged 30, of New Penkridge Road, Cannock, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm on his brother and assaulting Mr Hutton by beating.

He was given a 12-month prison sentence suspended for a year and ordered to do 120 hours unpaid community work.

Judge Michael Chambers QC told him: "This was a pretty shocking and appalling incident.

"You need to understand, it is not just the violence but the fact it occurred in a public place with other people around.

"To his credit, your brother has come to court, agreed for his medical records to be disclosed and to say, fortunately he has suffered no long-term effects. Evidently, he appears to have forgiven you."

Stuart had told the judge: "He is a good kid at heart, he will help anyone out.

"What he did was wrong, but it shouldn't have come to this, it should have been resolved."

The brothers left court hugging one another.

Mr Ahuja said the injured brother and Mr Hutton were on their way to The Court Yard when Richard approached them and shouted at his brother in relation to the family feud.

While the defendant was gesticulating, Mr Hutton tried to restrain him and held him back but was punched to the face. The defendant then turned on his brother, head-butting him to the face and felling him with a single punch.

Police were quickly on the scene and they could see Stuart was badly injured as his face was smeared with blood, his nose was dripping blood, he was concussed and he had broken teeth.

After being arrested, the defendant told officers he felt angry towards his brother following the recent death of their mother. In mitigation, the court heard how the incident was a blur due to his anger, but when shown the cctv footage, he was shocked at his own behaviour.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News