Prisoner murdered by fellow inmate predicted own death in letter to jail bosses

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

A prisoner murdered by a fellow inmate predicted his own death in a letter to jail bosses - which was not opened until after he was brutally killed.

Barry Mundle, from Wolverhampton, punched, kicked and stamped Adnan Rafiq to death at Hewell Prison in Worcestershire.

Mr Rafiq was the victim of a revenge attack after an argument about an alleged theft from a cell.

In desperation and terrified for his safety, Mr Rafiq wrote a letter in which he revealed he had told officers his life was in danger.

Barry Mundle was convicted of murder and jailed for 23 years

The letter was posted in the wing complaints box on January 24, 2013.

Four days later Mr Rafiq was attacked. But the letter wasn't read until January 30.

In it the victim said: "Basically, I was supposed to have been (transferred) to Birmingham to conflict (at) Hewell.

"I have told officers several times that my life is in danger due to me having trouble with Coventry prisoners that are all over this jail but nothing seems to be getting done.


"I was assaulted yesterday (and) suffered a broken nose, broken cheekbone. I have told staff...because next time it could be...fatal."

Mundle, aged 36, was later convicted of murder and jailed for 23 years.

The letter has come to light after an investigation into 22-year-old Mr Rafiq's death.

The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman report found that: "Staff should have been aware of the potential risk to the man and more should have been done to protect him.


"The letter remained unopened for several days as the head of reducing re-offending was not on duty and was not due back to the prison until January 30.

"The man's complaint should have been directed elsewhere or returned to the man.

"Hewell reviewed its complaints system after the man's death."

Six recommendations were made to the prison by ombudsman Nigel Newcomen.

It was also revealed that the prison took around two-and-a-half hours to tell police about the attack on Mr Rafiq. And it was an hour after that before the family was informed.

Mr Rafiq, 22 and from Moseley, died three days later in hospital.

A Prison Service spokesman said: "We do not tolerate violence of any kind in prison.

"We will review the findings carefully and our thoughts remain with Adnan's family and friends during what must be a very difficult time."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News