Man jailed after he sexually assaulted a social worker - FOUR times

Sandwell | News | Published:

A pervert who subjected a woman social worker to a sustained sexual assault, returning to attack his victim four times, has been jailed for 17 months.

Wolverhampton Crown Court was told how Sunny Dutt, who had only been released from custody 11 days earlier, apologised to his victim after the first attack – and then proceeded to attack her another three times.

The assault had left the woman severely traumatised and unable to resume full duties at work following the attack on her birthday.

Dutt, aged 23, of Stanton Road, Great Barr, was also ordered to register as a sex offender for 10 years after pleading guilty to sexual assault.

Mr David Lees, prosecuting, said the victim had been prescribed sleeping tablets and anti-depressants by her GP following the assault, and her relationships with friends and family had suffered.

"Following the incident she feels she is not the same person, she has lost her confidence, she feels scared of being in places where there are large groups," said Mr Lees.

Mr Lees said the woman was returning to her car after making a home call in the Sandwell area on June 22 this year.

As she walked back to her car, she was talking on her mobile phone to her manager when Dutt touched her.

She turned around and saw the Dutt running off towards a bridge, and continued talking on her phone, telling her manager what had happened.


"The defendant then ran back, telling the complainant he wanted to apologise. He offered to shake her hand, and pulled towards him."

He then indecently assaulted her again before running away, said Mr Lees.

As the woman was getting into her car, Dutt returned again, this time attempting to pull her out of the vehicle by her leg. However, the victim was able to keep hold of the steering wheel and free herself before shutting the car door, the court was told.

Mr Lees added that she tried to lock the car door, but actually only activated a child lock, and Dutt got into her car, where he assaulted her again. He then exposed himself to the woman before running off.


He added that the victim's manager heard the attack over the phone.

He said the victim had continued to suffer from neck and shoulder pain as a result of the attack.

"Her son had given her a watch for her birthday, which she now feels unable to wear because she was wearing it at the time," said Mr Lees.

The court heard that only four days earlier Dutt had been released from custody after serving a 28-month sentence for robbery.

Mr Gurdeep Garcha, for Dutt, said was full of remorse for what he had done, and offered an unreserved apology to his victim.

"He is disgusted with himself and feels a sense of shame that he has brought on his family," he said.

"Having been released from custody on June 11, he was enjoying his freedom. He consumed far too much alcohol and lost all sense of himself."

He added that Dutt committed the offence in a public place in the daytime, and made no attempt to conceal his identity.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News