Young chef died after inhaling laughing gas

Wyre Forest | News | Published:

A young chef who died after inhaling laughing gas discovered the high while on holiday seven months previously, an inquest heard.

Jordan Guise was in Magaluf with friends in July last year when he started enjoying the feeling of nitrous oxide, a legal high used as an anaesthetic and an aerosol propellant.

He was working as head chef at La Charniere restaurant in Beziers in the south of France when his body was found at his home on February 6.

The inquest yesterday heard that when his body was discovered he was found with nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, in a fresh cream foaming machine.

In his flat there were also other cannisters containing elements of nitrous oxide, and a box containing used cannisters.

The 21-year-old, who is originally from Bewdley, had used cannabis and 'meow meow' - recreational drug mephedrone - in the past.

His mother Leesa Malpas told Stourport Coroner's Court: "Speaking to his friends since he died, they said on holiday he really liked the feeling.

"Two of his friends visited him the week before he died, and they said they were aware he was doing it.

"They said he complained that it didn't last long enough, that it was a very quick high."


He died just weeks after finding out he was going to be a father for the first time. His partner has since lost the baby.

Mrs Malpas told the inquest that Jordan was hoping to convince his partner to terminate the baby, but that if he could not he wanted to ensure the baby had its father around.

Worcestershire deputy coroner Marguerite Elcock concluded that Jordan died as a result of an accident, a similar finding by coroners in France.

After the inquest his parents said they had scattered half of his ashes in Beziers, including in an orange tree in the garden of the restaurant where he worked, and will scatter the other half in Bewdley.


They are now hoping to raise the cash needed for a memorial bench next to the river in Bewdley with a football tournament, being held on July 6.

His father Michael said: "We didn't want a grave for people to mourn at, he was only young.

"We just wanted the bench so his friends could go and sit and say hello to him. We didn't want a grave but we need somewhere."

They also revealed that following his death they had a number of opportunities to sell their story, but chose not to.

About nitrous oxide, Mrs Malpas said: "My belief is that kids will do it anyway, even if they know the dangers.

"I would like to think those who knew Jordan wouldn't do it.

"I don't think it would make a great deal of difference if we were to sell the story."

If anyone would like to help with the football tournament, being held at Mill Lane in Wolverley, you can email

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News