Black Country pensioner, 81, attacked by her grandson pleads for his freedom

Walsall | News | Published:

An 81-year-old woman has unsuccessfully pleaded for mercy for the grandson she feared was going to kill her.

Jay Griffiths, aged 37, of Stubbington Close, Portobello, Willenhall, squeezed the throat of Mrs Mary Griffiths and put a pillow over her face after a row flared as they watched a news report on the trial of Coronation Street star Bill Roache, a judge heard.

But she said in a victim impact statement read to Wolverhampton Crown Court: "I do not want him to go to prison because, after all, he is my grandson. All I want is for him to understand that what he did was wrong and get help."

Mrs Griffiths also told of the terror of the attack and recalled: "His face was just evil. He put both hands round my neck and just squeezed. It was really hurting me and I let out a scream."

Her grandson halted the attack and stormed out of the bedroom, slamming the door behind him only to return moments later to put a pillow over her face.

Mrs Griffiths said in the statement: "He pushed down really hard. I don't know for how long. I was trying to grab his hands. I really thought he was going to kill me."

Her grandson, who was her live-in carer, came to his senses after he had held the pillow over her face for around 60 seconds, the court was told. He then called the police and told them: 'I have tried to kill my nan."

Mrs Griffiths was lying in bed watching an item on the trial of Mr Roache on the six o'clock news when her grandson snapped, explained Mr Simon Phillips, prosecuting.

Griffiths, who had been her carer for five months, shouted 'you think everyone in court is guilty' before launching a torrent of abuse at the elderly woman and attacking her, it was said.


Mr Jon Roe, defending, said: "He accepts he had been drinking heavily and cannot recall the exact nature of the argument.

"He quickly regained control of his temper, came to his senses and phoned 999. He met the police officers with his arms outstretched ready to be arrested.

"He is appalled by his behaviour.

"He had taken over the care of the victim from his mother who could no longer care with the lady's complex health issues. He had been able to deal with these in the past but this time lost his temper."


Mrs Griffiths, who did not suffer any physical injury in the incident that occured on January 29 just days before Mr Roache was acquitted, has since been moved to a care home.

Her grandson admitted attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent and was jailed for four year.

The court was told that the family of Griffiths were standing by him but his mother and uncle both declined to comment after the case.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News