'Evil' Oldbury stalker put our Kam through hell, say grieving family

Birmingham | News | Published:

A stalker has been dubbed an 'evil, bullying coward' by his ex-girlfriend's family after he was jailed for two years for a 'sustained campaign of harassment' against her.

Kamaljit Sidhu ultimately ended her own life following Ryan Dey 's unwarranted attention.

The 29-year-old had finished their 18-month relationship a week before she fell to her death from a bridge over the M6 by junction 7 for Great Barr on October 25 last year.

But Birmingham Crown Court heard that he had harassed her in the months leading up to the end of their affair, stepping up his campaign in the week after she left him.

During their time together, Dey had stolen Kamaljit's mobile phone and used it himself and not returned it.

Birmingham Crown Court also heard 23-year-old Dey had hacked into her Facebook account to find out to whom she was talking and objected to her seeing friends, either at home, or going to meet them.

The lorry driver would also ring her parents' Great Barr home at all hours of the day and night, prompting them to change the number, and sit outside the house in his car regardless of the time of day and honk his horn so she came outside to see him. Dey also followed her on the night she died to a restaurant in Birmingham's Arcadian, where she had met friends.

She was so frightened of him, she hid under the table and crawled away on all fours to the toilet to hide before he left without seeing her, the court heard.


Later that night, she was dropped off at the junction by the Scott Arms pub by a friend. After returning home, she went back out, crossing the bridge over the M6 to buy a bottle of wine before sitting drinking. She fell to her death at around 4.30am.

In the week after her break-up, Mr Peter Grieves-Smith, prosecuting, said Dey, of Hollyoak Close, Oldbury, sent abusive messages to her on Facebook. He also threatened to reveal personal secrets to her family.

In police interview he admitted to having beaten Miss Sidhu once, and that during their relationship he had continued another relationship with another woman, with whom he also had a young child.

Mr Grieves-Smith said Miss Sidhu had believed he would separate from the other woman based on what Dey said to her but that was an 'empty promise'.


Mr Eugene Hickey, defending, stressed his client pleaded guilty, was remorseful and was immature in relationships, which led to his inability to control his jealousy. He said he had not anticipated Miss Sidhu would fall to her death and had re-visited the scene the day afterwards. He was described by witnesses as looking 'lost and dazed'.

Miss Sidhu left a note to friends and family on a Dove moisturiser bottle that was found after her death that said 'I loved you all. I just got weak. Sorry.'

Passing sentence, Judge Michael Chambers, said Dey led a 'sustained campaign of harassment', adding: "These matters were a significant factor, which caused her to fall off the bridge. On the evidence I have heard I am driven to the inference she did take her own life and what you did was a factor in that."

He sentenced Dey to two years' in prison after he admitted a charge of stalking. He will serve half before being released on licence.

Outside court Miss Sidhu's mother, Sarbjit, said: "Does Ryan Dey really realise the damage he has inflicted on my beloved Kam, me and my family? We will never forget our baby Kam. I was unable to see her for the last time when she was put to rest and that has been difficult to deal with.

"Ryan Dey is evil. He is a bully and a coward and had put my daughter through hell with his control and abuse and will never be forgiven for what he has caused."

Friends and family stood with Mrs Sidhu, carrying banners and posters calling for victims of domestic abuse to speak out and not to suffer in silence.

Martin Lindop, sector crown prosecutor from West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, added: "Ryan Dey's stalking of Ms Sidhu, which included the use of social media, had a substantial effect on her day to day life. In those final days the defendant's actions caused her to be in fear of a man she had once trusted and loved, which ultimately resulted in Ms Sidhu ending her own life."

Det Ch Insp Kim Madill, from West Midlands Police Public Protection Unit, said after the case: "This has been a difficult, challenging and deeply upsetting case to investigate for all concerned.

"The investigation team has worked tirelessly to try and find some justice for Kamlajit and her family, following her tragic and untimely death.

"One can only imagine the fear and torment that Dey must have put her through to take such a course of action. Even though this conviction cannot bring Kamaljit back, hopefully the fact that Dey has admitted his crimes and is now facing a spell in prison will come as some comfort to her grieving family."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News