Mosque plans are lodged for former Wolverhampton casino

The site of a of disused casino in the Black Country will be converted into a mosque under new plans submitted to council chiefs.

Mosque plans are lodged for former Wolverhampton casino

Gala Casino in Whitmore Street, in Wolverhampton's city centre, closed in 2011.

But under proposals it will become an Islamic place of worship and a community centre. The property is opposite the Broad Street car park and will be called Wolverhampton City Islamic Centre and Alrahma Mosque. In a document submitted to the city council, the applicant, Mekawy Morsy says: "The property is at the heart of our beloved Wolverhampton city centre.

"This centre will be a great service for local worshippers.

"It will be a very convenient and accessible location for shoppers, local shopkeepers, students and close-by residents to use the centre to practice their religious activities.

"They will be able to use it without having to use public transport or their own car to travels to their place of worship."

The application lists its intended use which includes;

  • Five times prayer everyday of the year.

  • Teaching Arabic and Islamic studies.

  • Carrying out the congregational Friday prayer (which all Muslims attend).

  • Provide food for fasters during the holy month of Ramadan.

  • Provide an Islamic marriage service (with the relevant licence).

The applicant also says that the centre would be a boost to international Islamic students who attend the University of Wolverhampton.

Should Wolverhampton City Council give the go-ahead to the mosque it will be the latest place of worship in that area of the city centre.

Next to the old casino is Ramgarhia Board Sikh temple.

There is also Church of Broad Street on St Mary's Street and Elm Church of Pentecost on Broad Street.

Gala Casino closed its doors in 2011 with the loss of 46 jobs, it had been in the city for 17 years.

Speaking at the time casino officials said that it closed due to 'trading difficulties', but had planned to relocate all of the venue's employees.

A six-week consultation period was launched in August 2011 but closure of the casino went ahead.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News