Walsall murder suspect 'calm' on arrest, jury is told

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

A man accused of murdering his new wife appeared calm and composed and showed no signs of anxiety when he was taken into custody, a court heard.

Jasvir Ram Ginday is standing trial at Wolverhampton Crown Court accused of murdering his 24-year-old wife, Varkha Rani. It is also said the 29-year-old, of Victory Lane, Reedswood, burned her body in the back garden of their home in Walsall last September.

Sgt Rachel Bell was the custody officer at Bloxwich police station when Ginday was brought in following his arrest.

Giving evidence, she told the jury that he appeared 'calm'.

She recorded in a risk assessment care plan that he appeared to understand everything that was going on.

An assessment by a doctor revealed previous suicidal thoughts and a history of depression but he was found fit to be detained and interviewed.

Ginday was also put under constant supervision.

Sgt Bell said: "The allegation was murder – a serious one. He expressed concerns that he previously had suicidal thoughts.

"He was an unknown risk. I wanted to ensure no harm came to him in custody."


The court heard that the doctor who assessed him also found him 'calm and composed' and showed 'no signs of upset or anxiety'.

Ginday had previously been prescribed anti-depressants, the court was told.

Taking the witness stand, forensic scientist Stephen Paddock said traces of DNA found on a metal pole and claw hammer discovered at the scene matched the profile of Varkha, but he could not say when it got there.

It has been claimed Ginday married Varkha to please his parents and hide his sexuality.


In a statement read to the court by prosecutor Miss Debbie Gould, Emma Chompra, who described Ginday as her uncle, said she had previously seen him at a gay club in Birmingham and did not support his marriage to Varkha as she thought he would not be happy.

The court heard that Ginday visited Walsall police station to report his wife missing on September 12 last year – the day of the alleged murder.

He claimed he found her packing her bags to leave him and she had pushed him down the stairs after he tried to stop her.

Ginday told police he felt she had married him in India during March last year in order to get into the country.

He denies murder but admits manslaughter and perverting the course of justice.

The trial continues.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News