Two charged and stab claim probed as five arrests made over Wolves v Port Vale match

News | Published:

[gallery] A smoke bomb was thrown and five people were arrested during disturbances at Saturday's Wolves v Port Vale derby at Molineux.

Two of the men have since been charged in connection with alleged incidents inside and around the stadium, and all of the men have been told not to enter Wolverhampton city centre as part of their bail conditions.

West Midlands Police said they believe those arrested are all Port Vale supporters.

Inspector David Farrell, from West Midlands Police, confirmed that five arrests had been made during police operations at the game, including one for allegedly discharging a smoke bomb.

Lee Vaughan, aged 41, from Stoke, has been charged with being drunk whilst trying to enter a sports ground.

John Roberts, aged 39, from Newcastle-under-Lyme, was charged with being drunk and disorderly after being arrested in the lower tier of the Steve Bull Stand.

Both men were bailed to appear at Wolverhampton Magistrates Court on March 19.

A 17-year-old from Stoke is alleged to have discharged a flare in the ground. He has been placed on police bail until next month while further inquiries take place.

A 46-year-old man from Stoke and a 53-year-old man from Wolverhampton were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. Both were placed on police bail until later this month.


All five men were ordered not to attend football matches and not to enter Wolverhampton city centre as part of their bail conditions.

Police were also investigating reports that a man who had been at the game had been stabbed, but officers said the victim did not want to make a complaint and claimed his injuries were accidental.

The man was spoken to by officers on Saturday evening at New Cross Hospital, where he was being treated for two arm and leg wounds, which were initially believed to be caused in a stabbing.

He said the injuries were caused by climbing over a gate and police are taking no further action.


The trouble on Saturday comes after August's match at Port Vale, which saw 34 people arrested amid violent scenes inside and around the Vale Park stadium.

On that occasion, flares were set off inside the ground while the Independent Police Complaints Commission received seven complaints from fans who said they were bitten by dogs during the trouble.

Twenty fans, six of them Wolves fans, have appeared in court in connection with the violent clashes between supporters and police at the match.

Witnesses at the time described the trouble as 'absolute mayhem' and 'terrifying' as police were pelted with missiles and bottles.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News