Kittens saved in Wolverhampton Christmas presents blaze

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

Two kittens were rescued from a house fire, which started when Christmas presents caught alight last night during a four-hour national strike of firefighters.

Crews in the West Midlands and Staffordshire said the night had passed without major incident.

Three of the 16 fire engines West Midlands Fire Service had available attended the fire at the house on Dickinson Avenue in Bushbury at 6.30pm.

An incense burner had set alight wrapped presents which were close by and started the blaze. The family had managed to flee, but firefighters who were wearing breathing apparatus went in to rescue the pets.

The house was left smoke-logged, and there was fire damage to one of the rooms.

Firefighters were on strike between 6pm and 10pm last night, and another strike is to take place during the same hours tonight.

Paul Burnham, Area Commander for West Midlands Fire Service said: "Although the evening was busy, I'm pleased to say we had no incidents involving anyone injured."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star


UK & International News