Tributes paid to Wolves legend Frank Munro

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

Wolves were today mourning the loss of one of their most popular players with the sad passing of Frank Munro at the age of 63.

Wolves were today mourning the loss of one of their most popular players with the sad passing of Frank Munro at the age of 63.

Acute breathing problems saw him rushed to New Cross Hospital on Monday, and he passed away there at 8.40pm last night.

The former Scotland international, who had suffered poor health ever since a heavy stroke in 1994, had been suffering from pneumonia for several months.

See also: Frank Munro's life in pictures.

He leaves long-term partner Naomi and two sons Stuart and Grant by wife Margaret, and two grandchildren.

Former team-mates Dave Wagstaffe and Phil Parkes were visiting him last night, and they along with Wolves legend John Richards had stayed close to him.

Hugely loved as one of the cornerstones of Wolves' successful team of the early 1970s, he helped the side win the League Cup in 1974, the Texaco Cup in 1971 and reach the UEFA Cup final in 1972.

Captaining the team after Mike Bailey, he led the team to the Second Division title in 1976-77 in a total of 371 games for the club, scoring 19 goals.


He stands 20th in the all-time Molineux record appearance-makers list, also appearing in the 1973 semi-finals of the League Cup and FA Cup.

Mr Munro, who had been living in a care home in Wednesfield for the last couple of years after spending many years in Compton, becomes the second player of the popular 1970s team to die after Derek Dougan passed away in 2007.

Born in Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Munro was signed by Ronnie Allen from Aberdeen for a bargain £55,000 in January 1968, having hit a hat-trick against Wolves in the famous final of the United States League in 1967.

Starting his career with Chelsea in 1961-62, he went on to play for Dundee United.


After leaving Wolves in December 1977, he had a short spell at Celtic where he helped them to the 1978 Scottish League Cup final before playing and coaching in Melbourne, Australia for several years, before returning to Wolverhampton.

Munro's most famous goal was the one that helped defeat Leeds in May, 1972, and so denied Don Revie's side the double.

"I heard on Monday he had been taken very ill and his heart had apparently stopped in the ambulance," said Richards.

"We were told then there wasn't much hope of him pulling through.

"But I had visited him last Wednesday and thought he looked better than he had for several months.

"He had had a shave and a haircut and was enjoying a fish and chip supper, as he did every Wednesday.

"His health problems over many years were well known, and he had a lot to endure.

"We had all resigned ourselves to hearing this news sooner or later but it is still very upsetting to know we have lost a good friend and a player supporters of a certain age will remember with a lot of affection."

John McAlle, Munro's central defensive partner for seven years, said: "It's very hard to accept. A lot of people will be very shocked and saddened by this news."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News