Advertising

Swan killed after 23 years at pool spot

Dudley | News | Published:

A well-loved swan that had lived on the pool at a Black Country housing estate for at least 23 years has died after being savaged by a dog.

A well-loved swan that had lived on the pool at a Black Country housing estate for at least 23 years has died after being savaged by a dog.

Wildlife lovers are today mourning the loss of Jay, the cob.

He died during Monday night despite efforts to save him at a swan rescue centre near Stourport.

The tragedy also leaves his female friend — called 'Pen' — brought in as company two years ago after losing a wing in a fox attack, as the lone swan at the spot in Lakeside, Amblecote.

Mrs Ann Richards, aged 51, of Troutbeck Drive, Lakeside, wept as she told how she watched in horror when a young, white dog, thought to be a Jack Russell type, went 'berserk', running at the ducks and other birds on the frozen lake and then biting the large male swan on Boxing Day afternoon.

Mrs Richards was unable to reach Jay that evening when she went to feed the birds on the lake but, on Monday morning, managed to get close to him and risked her own safety by stepping about two feet on to the ice to pull him to the edge.

Her husband, Dave Richards, then rushed Jay to the Bishops Wood Swan Rescue Centre at Crossway Green, Hartlebury. He had several bite wounds to his back from the dog attack.

Mrs Richards said: "Jay suffered with rheumatism so couldn't move away fast enough when the dog ran up and bit him on the back. I was looking out of the window and saw the dog with two youths and it just went berserk.

Advertising

"We're all going to miss him so much and I know our son, Bobby, who is aged 11, is very upset."

Mrs Lynn Williams, also of Troutbeck Drive, said: "I have seen dogs chasing birds before and it's upsetting when you see the ducks or geese with broken legs caused in the panic when they try to run away."

Sandy Lee, co-owner of Bishops Wood Swan Rescue, said: "The cob was a very old boy — probably 25 years or more. We gave him an injection and antibiotics but the shock killed him."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News