Footballer badly injured in freak accident

Walsall | News | Published:

A footballer had to be airlifted to hospital after suffering an horrific head injury during a game.

A footballer had to be airlifted to hospital after suffering an horrific head injury during a game.

Walsall Wood's midfielder Torgut Bilgimer, aged 24, collided with a perimeter post after losing his balance while challenging for the ball.

The match in Oak Park, Lichfield Road, Walsall Wood, was abandoned as soon as the accident happened in the 54th minute of the game on Saturday.

The team's next match at Castle Vale JKS has been cancelled as players and staff rally round Torgut.

He remained at Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham today following an operation.

Manager Nigel Birch said: "It was the worst thing I have witnessed on a football pitch. He went in for a tackle, mis-timed it and slid off the pitch.

"He was running at full pace and was literally catapaulted head-first off the pitch and into the concrete post.

"I'll be honest, I thought he was a gonner."


The blow to Mr Bilgimer's head cut off the top of his ear and knocked him unconscious for about 15 minutes while staff at the ground put him in the recovery position and an ambulance was called.

It was then decided that he should be airlifted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.

Mr Birch added: "The players have been affected by it. But I have visited Torgut and at least he is stable and talking.

"The club will look to support him in the coming weeks and months.


Mr Birch also commented:"He has playing for the club for three years and is a well-liked player."

Mr Bilgimer, a fitness instructor from Handsworth Wood, whose brother, Ahmet, also plays for the club, has since undergone reconstructive surgery on his ear, and signs for his recovery are looking up.

The next home game against Bartley Green, on October 23, is planned to go ahead.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News