Advertising

Special constable tells of attack ordeal

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

A teenage special constable knocked unconscious and mugged on a night off in Wolverhampton city centre has spoken of his ordeal, as CCTV footage of his alleged attackers was released.

A teenage special constable knocked unconscious and mugged on a night off in Wolverhampton city centre has spoken of his ordeal, as CCTV footage of his alleged attackers was released.

Simon Rooke, aged 19, intervened to break up a fight when he was punched to the ground, causing his head to hit the kerb and him to black out.

His attackers rifled through his pockets and stole his police ID card, wallet with £20 cash, his iPhone and cash cards.

Police today released pictures of three suspects wanted in connection with the robbery, which happened around Castle Street. See the gallery of suspects.

Sc Rooke, who is based at Bloxwich and who has only just started in the job, had been to Oceana nightclub with friends and was heading to get some food when he saw a fight outside Greggs in Market Street.

The Willenhall teenager, who hopes to become an officer after he finishes his policing course at the University of Wolverhampton, said today: "One of the guys had been punched and was unconscious.

"My instincts were they were going to kick him so I ran over.

Advertising

"I didn't show them my badge but I told them to leave him alone. They started to walk off and I turned my back on them to look at the guy on the ground.

"Somebody then shouted something and I turned around and he punched me in the face.

"The force knocked me off my feet and I hit my head off the kerb and it knocked me unconscious."

Sc Rooke came round about 10-15 minutes later to find he had been mugged while he was unconscious.

Advertising

He needed five stitches in his head at New Cross Hospital, but has since made a good recovery.

He said: "It's horrible that you're just out to have a good night and some people just want to start a fight."

Detectives have released CCTV images of three men they want to speak to in connection with the robbery, which happened at around 3am on September 10.

Det Con Nick Taylor, from Wolverhampton Police CID, said: "We are very keen to speak to the men in the CCTV images and urge them or anyone who knows who they are to get in touch with us.

"We believe they have crucial information that could assist us with this ongoing investigation."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News