Wolves outcasts Roger Johnson and Jamie O’Hara were today told there is no way back after being banished from first-team pre-season training again.
Head coach Kenny Jackett confirmed the unwanted pair, the figures most associated with the club’s relegation from the Championship 13 months ago, will be separated from the senior group this summer.
“We’re expecting Roger back next week but he won’t be training with the first-team group,” said Jackett.
O’Hara posted a picture on Instagram, depicting the ‘academy 5’ dressing room where he has been sent to change, saying: “My new dressing room #bombsquad #thanks #headsgone”.
Jackett responded: “He won’t be training with the first team when we start. He didn’t for the great majority of last year.
“In terms of the changing arrangements there’s a lot of players here - around 25 in the first-team group, 15 Under-21 lads and probably 50 pros all told.
“It’s not about one pro, it’s about 50 and Wolves do look after them very well.
“There’s a lot of young players and we need to get organised.
“It’s not that there’s anything better in one dressing room than another.
“Jamie ’s available for anybody who wants him. He needs that next stage of his career.”
Johnson, whose West Ham campaign ended after Wolves’ season, joins Stephen Ward, Kevin Doyle, Tongo Doumbia, Bakary Sako and Nouha Dicko in reporting back a week later after their seasons were prolonged due to international commitments.
But the Wolves boss won’t find a place for Johnson, adding: “I haven’t spoken to him yet, although I will next week when he comes in.
“We haven’t had any calls at present about him. We’re not close to a deal, or anybody imminently going to take him.
“But he’s available. It just seems like they’re very quiet.”
West Ham recently appeared suggested they don’t want to re-sign Johnson after a loan spell last spring.
Hammers co-owner David Sullivan’s son Jack tweeted: “Rumours of signing Johnson not true!
“Even though he is a lovely man and we wish him all the best!
“I know he will do a great job somewhere.”
Sheffield Wednesday boss Stuart Gray said Johnson was one of several options for the Owls a few weeks ago.
But Jackett said: “They haven’t contacted us.”Subscribe to our Newsletter