Wolves have turned down a bid from Nottingham Forest for winger Bakary Sako.
Head coach Kenny Jackett revealed after today’s 3-1 win at Port Vale that the offer - believed to be for around £2.5m - was received and rejected in the last two days.
Sako was left out of this afternoon’s Staffordshire derby because he didn’t feel in the right frame of mind to play with speculation linking the former St Etienne wideman to the Championship club.
The bid is understood to have matched the eventual fee Fulham were prepared to pay earlier this summer, at least numerically, if not in method of payment.
But it is believed Wolves are still holding out for £4m.
Jackett said: “We had an offer two days ago from Nottingham Forest for which we turned down – it was nowhere near our valuation.
“I’m not going to disclose how much it is but it’s an offer we’ve turned down.
“And as far as I’m aware, we’re not close to agreeing a fee.
“He’s not a player we’re desperate to sell – we’re not in that situation.
“But there is some speculation, he’s aware of the interest and he wasn’t in the right frame of mind to play today.
“Those are his words, not mine.
“So we’ll see now what happens over the course of the weekend, but we’re not desperate to sell him.
“We’re not looking to do a deal necessarily, but if it comes at a decent level you have to think about it.
“But I’ve got assurances that should Tuesday morning come and he’s still a Wolves player then he will be 100 per cent committed to the cause, as he has been so far because he’s played very well.
“I’m hopeful that he will stay and contribute more.”
Jackett said that he had spoken to Sako in the build-up to today’s game and been made aware of the player’s decision.
“We had a conversation during the course of the week and working with them every day, you get to read each other enough to talk honestly,” he added.
“Today he wasn’t with us and up to now, he’s contributed very well in our season.”