Aston Villa not interested in Younes Belhanda

Aston Villa are not interested in Younes Belhanda and prepared today to re-enter contract talks with Christian Benteke.

younes-belhanda_1b03dfd8-4ce7-4ca2-9738-038a8532f810_1

Morocco international Belhanda is not on Paul Lambert’s wishlist and Villa have not bid, despite Montpellier’s claims.

La Paillade president Louis Nicollin said last week Villa had made an offer for the 23-year-old and the midfielder went as far as issuing a come and get me plea.

Belhanda said: “I am definitely aware that there are five clubs with serious interest in me. The president told me how much I will cost for any team that wants me.

“I have told everyone that England will be my first choice. Aston Villa is a great club with a big history playing in the best league in the world, so let's see what will happen.”

Nicollin claimed Villa, both Milan clubs and Galatasaray all wanted Belhanda but the Express & Star understands £12million-rated playmaker was never discussed by the claret and blues.

The club are keen on doing early business and have already agreed a £2.5million deal to sign Aleksandar Tonev from Polish club Lech Poznan.

The three-year deal will be rubberstamped this week once the final paperwork is completed after the Bulgaria star passed a medical and agreed terms on Friday.

Lambert wants to bring in players ahead of the pre-season trip to Germany on July 7 and Villa are ready to move but are also aware they are under no pressure to rush deals through.

And they are ready to continue contract talks with Benteke this week in a bid to keep the striker.

Villa held productive discussions at the end of the season but they were put on hold while Benteke was on international duty with Belgium.

He helped them to a 2-1 win over Serbia on Friday which put Belgium on the brink of qualifying for next year’s World Cup.

Tottenham, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, ­Fiorentina and Arsenal are monitoring the situation, with Atletico searching for a replacement for £51million Radamel Falcao who has joined Monaco.

But Villa are confident of keeping the in-demand Benteke who hit 23 goals after a £7million move from Genk last summer.

The 22-year-old is happy at Villa with the club ready to offer a bumper new deal to boost his £20,000-a-week wages.

Comments for: "Aston Villa not interested in Younes Belhanda"

josh

this is clearly trash as they both play in different positions because belhanda would be used to work with benteke not to replace him.

Hitchens1897

Shame, just what we need in midfield.

Mark

I think as soon as I heard that his club wanted 12 million I knew we weren't interested in him.

SurreyVilla

Where in this article is anyone from villa actually quoted saying they're not interested?

JInksy

The transfer fee isn't a problem for Villa if the player accepts £30,000 a week. Don't mix up reducing the wages and Villa not being prepared to spend, £25m was spent last Summer expect more this summer we just wont sign players who want massive wages. Belhanda even at £30,000 a week would be getting a massive pay rise.

AVFC1

The author came to this conclusion based on what? Villa aren't interested because they want Benteke to sign a new deal instead?

I was expecting it to say the manager said they haven't made an offer or something. This article just looks like guesswork.

Dexter

Its a real shame if Villa are not looking at him! He is a talent and a half, is clearly keen on a move to the Premier, and is the type of player we need to keep Benteke!! If we show him we are ready to bring in world stars, he may well think the future is Aston Villa. Why the London press are throwing Spurs into the mix baffels me, are Spurs bigger than Villa?! The problem is that all young footballers want to be in London, its not the clubs, its the city lights!!!!

Callum Gurr

No evidence that we aren't interested in Belhanda and besides they play in different positions.

Rohan

I'm pretty sure we can afford £12mn but we just can't spend that on more than 2 players