The need for humanitarian aid to help Syrian refugees in Lebanon has never been greater, a British charity has said.
The Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund (SCIAF) has responded to the situation by boosting support for Syrian refugees through international partner Caritas, but it is a move that is bucking the trend.
As the pressure on resources in Lebanon intensifies a lot of aid work is being scaled back due to a lack of funds, according to the charity.
Val Morgan from SCIAF said: "The Syrian crisis has been going since March 2011 so people have been hearing about this for a long time now.
"They might think that the refugee situation is under control because they've been hearing the stories on the news but what they don't realise is that the situation is getting worse.
"Just in one year in Lebanon there's four times as many refugees here with 3,000 to 4,000 people crossing the border every day, and this is coming at a time when aid is actually falling.
"The UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) is now only providing aid to 65% of those that are registered with them - that leaves 35% that aren't and there are many, many others that aren't even registered who are in desperate need."
As much as 25% of the Lebanese population is thought to be Syrian and the number is growing daily.
While the latest UNHCR figures put the number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon at 793,615 (702,934 registered and 90,681 people waiting registration), Caritas Lebanon, SCIAF's international partner, estimates the true total to be around 1.5 million.
The demand for accommodation is huge and many refugees live in shelters made from wood, scrap metal, old food sacks and billboard adverts.
Shaha Ibrahim, 27, has been living in a settlement like this called Qab Elis in the Bekaa Valley, close to the Syrian border, with her husband Abboud Yassine, 25, and their two daughters, Bayane, two months, and Aya, seven, for the last seven months.
They fled Syria after a brutal 18-day battle between the Syrian army and rebels that killed many people in their village.
Mr Yassine registered his family with the UNHCR, who gave them food coupons on two occasions, and Caritas, which provided blankets, mattresses and food.
Earlier this month he was told by the UN that he would not receive any more coupons.
Speaking through a translator, he said: "I used to get three food coupons, one for each member of the family, and this would give us food that would last for about 20 days, and with the work I do occasionally we were able to manage.
"Sometimes I can find work and I get some bread, otherwise I don't eat."
With no more coupons the family will struggle to find enough food and there will be increased pressure on Mr Yassine to find work that is scarcely available.
He said: "We share so that each person has something to eat. It is something small but at least no one goes without food."
They eat a maximum of two times a day and if they have any money will buy tomatoes or potatoes. Otherwise they survive on bread.
Basic health care is available to Syrian refugees in the Bekaa Valley who are registered with Caritas at the charity's centre in Taalabaya, where there is a medical clinic every Tuesday. There are also mobile clinics serving the region.
Dr Joseph Homsi sees between 50 and 120 patients every Tuesday at the centre where he has worked for more than a year. He said the biggest challenge is also related to limited funds: "The biggest problem is the lack of medication and the lack of materials that we can use.
"We transfer many patients to hospitals because we haven't the materials to treat them."
This week SCIAF announced it will contribute £250,000 of emergency humanitarian aid in Lebanon.
The charity has raised more than £400,000 through its emergency appeal to help provide food, water, shelter, soap, blankets, heaters and medical care to Syrian refugees in Lebanon and Jordan (www.sciaf.org.uk).