Thousands of bins are still going uncollected for containing the wrong rubbish, although the numbers being left by council crews has dropped.
The controversial recycling crackdown was launched in Walsall just under a year ago. Almost 17,500 bins were left between May and August, according to new figures.
In the first four months of the zero-tolerance approach which was launched last November a total of 47,977 were not collected for being ‘contaminated’.
Despite the reduction an average of 1,900 bins a fortnight were still not picked up during the late spring and early summer period. Statistics for the two fortnights in August show 2,162 and 2,117 containers were not emptied respectively.
It comes as Walsall Council bosses have announced a shake-up of rubbish collections which will see some residents have their pick-up days changed from December.
It is the latest change to bin collections with the most controversial being the recycling crackdown which started on November 19. It saw officers, dubbed ‘binspectors’, start checking green bins for the wrong items. Those found to contain things such as food, nappies and household waste received a yellow sticker and were not emptied, sparking a flurry of complaints from angry residents.
The council said it had been forced to take a stand after a drop in the recycling rate, meaning more cash is being spent sending rubbish to landfill. The main offenders for contamination include black bags, general household waste, food waste, textiles, nappies and electrical goods.
A report from Mark Holden, head of clean and green services, to the council said: “Contamination levels, although reduced, continue to pose contractual concerns to the council. Income levels are temporarily reduced and costs increased.
“There is no impact to residents who use the service properly. Residents who continue to contaminate their recycling bins will risk not having their bin emptied.”