Woman rescued from Dudley flat fire

An unconscious woman was rescued from a smoke-filled flat by firefighters today after a pan of food left cooking on a stove caught fire.


Fire crews were called to Clent Court, in Vicarage Prospect, Dudley, at 3.23pm yesterday.

Firefighters forced entry to the first-floor flat in the 16-storey building and found the woman, who is in her 40s, unconscious in the lounge.

She was treated for smoke inhalation and regained consciousness before being taken to Russells Hall Hospital for further treatment.

A resident in a neighbouring flat raised the alarm after he opened his door and saw smoke.

Watch commander Andy Froggatt, from Dudley fire station, said: "The flat was smoke-logged after an unattended pan was left on the stove. A lady who was found unconscious in the lounge had to be carried out.

"The man in his 60s who called the fire service remained in his flat and was given a precautionary check-up.

"It only affected the first floor so we didn't have to evacuate the building. There was a minor amount of damage to the pan."

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Try our beta site!

We’re getting ready to launch our brand new website for expressandstar.com and we’d like to give you a sneak preview.

We’re still applying the finishing touches, so please bear with us if something’s not quite right.

We'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad, via the simple feedback button that you'll see to the right side of every page.

Try the beta