Roof gutted in Walsall house fire

A house roof has been left gutted following a fire caused by an electrical fault last night.

Crews from Aldridge, Wasall and Bloxwich were called to the fire at the semi-detached two-storey property in Salters Road in Walsall Wood at 10.30pm.

On arrival, they found the roof well alight and there was a danger the fire could spread to the living area and the home next door.

But crews managed to restrict the blaze the roof area, before putting it out and leaving at 3am.

A man and woman at the home, who were alerted to the fire by a passer-by, were outside the property when firefighters arrived.

Aldridge Fire Station Watch Commander Steve Palmer said: "It was a really good stop for us, the lads did well, they kept the roof intact and confined the fire to that area.

"The roof is severely damaged, but the important thing is the fire did not spread."

Mr Palmer said he believed the residents would have to look for alternative temporary accommodation as the roof is no longer in a safe condition.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Try our beta site!

We’re getting ready to launch our brand new website for and we’d like to give you a sneak preview.

We’re still applying the finishing touches, so please bear with us if something’s not quite right.

We'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad, via the simple feedback button that you'll see to the right side of every page.

Try the beta