Pensioner rescued as fire starts in Wednesbury flat

An elderly woman was rescued after a fire broke out in the electricity meter at her flat today.

Fire crews were called to the third floor flat at Russell House, Wednesbury at 1.30am.

Watch commander Keith Hampton from Tipton Fire Station said: “There was a fire in the electricity meter.

"The alarm was going off in the flat and we had to break in and we found a woman in her eighties.”

The fire was confined to the meter which it burned out.

The woman was taken to Sandwell Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Try our beta site!

We’re getting ready to launch our brand new website for expressandstar.com and we’d like to give you a sneak preview.

We’re still applying the finishing touches, so please bear with us if something’s not quite right.

We'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad, via the simple feedback button that you'll see to the right side of every page.

Try the beta