A woman had a lucky escape when she fell asleep with food still cooking on the stove at her Wolverhampton home.
Crews from Bilston and Ashmore Park fire stations had to break down the door to get into the ground floor apartment yesterday after being alerted by neighbours who heard the sound of a smoke alarm at around 4.10pm.
The firefighters found food alight in the kitchen and the occupant sleeping in the bedroom of the property in Lowbridge Walk, Bilston.
The woman, in her 20s, was roused and led to safety while the fire was put out.
The fire started in Lowbridge Walk, Bilston at around 4.10pm. He said: “It was a rude a awakening for her but things could have been far more serious if we had not been alerted so quickly.
As it was, the lady was shocked and remorseful but uninjured and there was minimal damage to the kitchen with a small amount of smoke logging.”