Dudley shopping centre evacuated after store room fire

Dozens of people were evacuated from an indoor shopping centre after a fire in a store room set off the sprinklers, flooding three floors.

The blaze, caused by an electrical fault, broke out in Plaza Malls in Dudley High Street last night.

Among the premises affected was rock club Rock Zombie Bar, which only opened last month after a £40,000 investment.

The venue was holding a gig night but it is understood it had to be cancelled before any bands got the chance to take to the stage.

Staff at a bakery on the ground floor and a members of a karate club on the second floor were also evacuated.

Six fire engines attended the King Street shopping centre at about 9.30pm and spent two-and-a-half hours trying to get rid of the water.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Try our beta site!

We’re getting ready to launch our brand new website for expressandstar.com and we’d like to give you a sneak preview.

We’re still applying the finishing touches, so please bear with us if something’s not quite right.

We'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad, via the simple feedback button that you'll see to the right side of every page.

Try the beta