A woman had a lucky escape after she started cooking at her flat in Cradley Heath and then fell asleep, leaving it unattended.
Firefighters were called to the second-floor flat in Applewood Grove at 3.30am yesterday.
Although the smoke alarm was sounding, the woman, who is in her 30s, had nodded off and was unaware of the danger.
Neighbours had spotted the smoke and called 999.
There was minor smoke damage to the property but the woman, who was the only person in the flat, was uninjured.
Watch commander Ivor Taylor said: “This girl was very lucky. She had started cooking using a pan and then had gone to sleep. It could have been a lot more serious. I urge people to take care when cooking.”