A spurned sweetheart who launched two wrecking sprees in the space of three days at the home of his former partner has been jailed for 12 months.
Mark Morris smashed windows and property, Wolverhampton Crown Court was told on Monday. The victim and her four children were all in bed when the incidents occurred late at night on June 2 and 5, revealed prosecutor Mrs Sati Ruck.
On both occasions the 28-year-old was returning drunk to the home of his mother where he was staying in Holden Crescent, Coalpool, Walsall – the same street his former lover lived in.
The first time he banged on her door for an hour before smashing a back window and appearing in the bedroom at 3am but ran off after realising she was phoning the police, continued Mrs Ruck.
Three days later the victim fled to the home of a friend across the road when he broke another window before carrying out a televiosn and a lamp which he smashed to pieces in the street, continued the prosecutor.
Mr Ruck added: “He looked over at the complainant and her friend and laughed before leaving the scene.”
Mr Oliver Woolhouse, defending, said: “This was unacceptable behaviour that put the mother and her children, the youngest of whom was fathered by the defendant, in a dreadful situation.
“It caused upset and trauma. When sober he realises this but sadly alcohol abuse is a theme that has run through his life,” he added.
Morris had been banned from approaching his previous partner after an earlier bust up, the court heard.
But this had been discontinued at the request of the victim prior to the latest incidents because she thought it had stopped his harassment of her, the court heard.
Mr Woolhouse said the couple had then ‘rekindled’ the relationship before parting again shortly before the latest incidents.
“The lawyer added: “The defendant was finding it difficult to accept the situation and turned to drink.”
The victim told police: “I am not scared of Mark.
“He has never been violent to me or the children but I am fed up with his behaviour,” she added.
Morris, from Holden Crescent, admitted burglary and criminal damage and was sent to prison by Judge Martin Walsh who also imposed a two-year restraining order banning the defendant from going near the home of his former partner.
The judge said: “You caused substantial damage to the fabric of the building and to the property that was removed and destroyed.”