Four people had their lives saved by police who dragged them to safety from a flat fire in Walsall today.
Two men and two women, who are all in their 40s, were asleep when the blaze broke out in the kitchen.
Two male officers and a female officer spotted flames and smoke billowing from the building in Rowley Street, Chuckery and, after alerting the fire service, raced to help.
A senior police officer took to Twitter to praise officers for their work:
@Walsallpolice response officers have tonight rescued four people from a burning house, without their bravery and professionalism.....— Ch Insp Jack Hadley (@JackHadleyWMP) July 10, 2014
...the occupants would not have survived. A brilliant incident which demonstrates the outstanding bravery of our staff - Well Done!!— Ch Insp Jack Hadley (@JackHadleyWMP) July 10, 2014
The blaze, started accidentally by unattended food on a hob, was put out by firefighters .
Chief Inspector Jack Hadley said: “It is without doubt that the bravery of the officers saved the lives of these four people.
“After spotting the building alight while they were patrolling the streets, they heroically fought their way into the flats without any protective equipment and no thought for their own safety.
“They found the four unconscious and brought them out the property when they were then treated by the ambulance service for smoke inhalation. The PCs then secured the building until the fire service arrived.
“Thankfully the officers were not injured and the people from the flat have now been treated and discharged from hospital.”
West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman Murray MacGregor said: "Thankfully there was little fire damage, but the flat was badly smoke logged.
“The four were given oxygen at the scene by ambulance staff before being taken to Walsall Manor Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation; they have since been discharged.
“The brave actions of the police officers undoubtedly contributed to the extent of the smoke inhalation being reduced.”Subscribe to our Newsletter