Teenager banned from driving after police chase through Wolverhampton park

A teenager led police on a car chase through a Wolverhampton park, a court heard.

A district judge said it was a ‘miracle’ that no one was hurt and that Jeanclaude Brown could have hurt a child.

The 19-year-old initially stopped the Volkswagen Golf he was driving along Park Road East, in Wolverhampton, when officers driving behind pulled him over at around 10.35am on March 6.

But he then sped off through the gates into West Park, before stopping at the lake and fleeing on foot.

Police found him hiding in bushes and arrested him.

Ms Rachel Smith, prosecuting, said Brown had stopped when he heard police sirens behind him.

She added: “He then drove off through the park. As he got to the lake he stopped.

“He got out and run off and the police officers followed. They found him hiding in some bushes.”

Ms Smith said he had been taken to a police station, where he gave a ‘no comment’ interview.

He pleaded guilty at Wolverhampton Magistrates Court to one charge of driving without insurance, another of failing to stop when required to by police and another of driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.

Mrs Hina Paw, defending, said the car belonged to a friend and had now been seized by police.

She said Brown, of Lonsdale Road, Penn Fields, Wolverhampton, had paid £35 for it and was taking it home.

She added that Brown held only a provisional driving licence.

District judge Graham Wilkinson said: “It’s a miracle no one was hurt.

“You were behind the wheel of the car, notwithstanding the fact you have not passed your driving test.”

“Everybody knows that people use the park in the daytime and you could have killed a child.”

He added that when police tried to stop Brown, rather than doing ‘the obvious thing’ and stopping, he chose to race off.

Brown was fined £270 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £20 surcharge.

He was also banned from driving for 18 months.

Subscribe to our Newsletter