Family rescued from Wolverhampton fire started by six-year-old boy

A family had a lucky escape when they had to be rescued from their burning Wolverhampton home - after a six-year-old boy accidentally set it on fire playing with matches.

Four adults who were all fast asleep and the boy - who was hiding upstairs - were saved from their Wolverhampton terraced house in Lea Road.

No one was woken by the blaze, or by the fire alarms which were activated by smoke, meaning firefighters had to force their way in.

They rescued the four adults and then went back in for the child, who they found hiding under a bed.

Incredibly no one was injured during the blaze - and a gas explosion was also narrowly avoided.

Fire crews said a language barrier - the family were believed to be from the Czech Republic - also added to a 'chaotic' scene, which began at around 8.30am yesterday.

The family were no longer at the address today and are thought to be staying with friends until their house become safe enough to live in again.

Damage was confined to the living room where the fire began.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Try our beta site!

We’re getting ready to launch our brand new website for expressandstar.com and we’d like to give you a sneak preview.

We’re still applying the finishing touches, so please bear with us if something’s not quite right.

We'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad, via the simple feedback button that you'll see to the right side of every page.

Try the beta