Four people were led to safety after a fire started in a fish and chip shop today.
Smoke filled the Chip 'n' Whale shop, in Tividale, near Oldbury, shortly after 11.40am.
Fire crews from Dudley and Tipton had to close the Tividale Road for a short while as they tackled the blaze.
Workers struggled to find their way out after acrid smoke filled the shop and counter area.
The blaze started when fat deposits set alight in the extraction ducting above the fryers in the shop.
One man was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation at the scene by paramedics but did not need further treatment.
Wooden boarding and part of the ducting had to be removed and were left outside as crews wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire.
Ventilation fans were then used to clear smoke before crews left at around 12.30pm.
Watch commander Andy Froggatt, of Dudley fire station, said: "They couldn't see to get out because of all the smoke so I had to send in two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus to help lead them to safety.
"Anyone driving past would have seen the smoke coming through the door. There was quite a lot."