One Direction star Liam Payne has been hailed a hero - after rushing to the aid of one of his best friends when a heater burst into flames on the balcony of his luxury flat.
Andy Samuel, from Wolverhampton, was engulfed in flames when a patio heater he was filling up exploded at the London penthouse.
He suffered 20 per cent burns to his chest, legs and arms and was last night in intensive care, with the loyal singer at his bedside.
The victim’s shocked stepdad Matthew Baker told how Liam leapt into action when the blast happened. He said: “We are so grateful to Liam because he saved his life.
“The lantern just exploded as Andy was lighting it and it took the full force of the flames. Liam helped him by beating out the flames and dousing him with water. He acted quickly and swiftly.”
Andy’s sister Harriet, 12, also paid tribute to the brave 1D singer. She said: “I want to thank Liam for saving my brother.”
Andy, who also suffered superficial burns to his face, grew up with Liam in Wolverhampton.
Liam was in the kitchen of his penthouse flat in Canary Wharf, East London, when the blast happened on Monday. The blaze destroyed 80 per cent of his balcony and it took 35 firefighters to put it out.