Two families were evacuated from their homes in the Black Country when a fire broke out in a converted loft in the early hours of today.
Firefighters were called to the blaze at the semi-detached property in Crabourne Road in Netherton at 12.27am.
They arrived to find the loft area, which had been converted into a games room, well alight.
Firefighters evacuated the three adults living at the address, as well as two adults living next door. Crews stayed tackling the fire until 3.17am.
It is believed the blaze was caused by the overloading of electrical plug sockets in the loft.
Firefighters said the loft had been left gutted. Other areas of the property suffered minor smoke damage.
Brierley Hill watch commander Andrew Papworth said: “The fire was quite a picture when we first got there, but thanks to a quick response it was contained mainly to the loft area.”
He added: “It is essential people do not overload their plug sockets. This shows the danger it can cause.”
No-one was injured in the fire. Crews from Cradley Heath were back at the house later in the morning to check on the damage.