The owners of a garage that was wrecked by a huge blaze today spoke of their shock – but said they were determined to stay in business.
The charred shell of SS Autocare in Willenhall Road, Wolverhampton, was all that remained today after the fire spread through 5,000 tyres being stored in the unit.
Owners Shaukat Khan, aged 62, and his 33-year-old son Shiraz Shoukat were today surveying the damage at the site.
But they were unlikely to be allowed inside until tomorrow as fire crews would be damping down for the rest of the day.
Structural engineers were today investigating whether parts of the building would need to be demolished.
The pair, who have owned the firm for a year, said they were ‘gutted’ but insisted they wanted to rebuild their business. They were called from their home in Willenhall at about 3am and rushed to the scene to find their garage engulfed by flames.
Mr Shoukat said: “We are gutted. We have only been here about a year. We are just dealing with tyres at the moment but we were trying to get into MOTs and servicing. We had applied for a licence for that but now this has happened.”
He added: “We want to get it cleaned up and reopened but we need to see how bad it is.”
Two members of staff are employed at the firm. Twelve fire crews from across the West Midlands were called to the scene, with more than 70 firefighters battling the blaze at its height.