An annual carnival queen competition has been cancelled due to a lack of interest from teenagers.
It is the second time in the last five years the Tipton Carnival Queen for girls aged 16 and over has been cancelled due to a lack of entries.
The sweet pea, rosebud and princess competitions however, will still go ahead.
The carnival queen category is open to girls and women aged over 16, and they attend the Tipton Carnival dressed up in gowns and greet all the visitors.
This year however, the organising committee has not received any entries to this competition, and therefore has taken the difficult decision to cancel it.
This is not the first time the competition has been cancelled due to lack of entrants. In 2010 the competition was ditched, after nearly 50 years of running in the town.
Organiser Karen Simms said the lack of entrants was due to a combination of factors.
She said: “I think it is a lot to do with a lack of a procession which had to be stopped due to health and safety reasons, and I think that was the bit the older girls particularly enjoyed.”
The carnival, which will be the 47th in its history, will take place on June 8. Up to 5,000 people attended last year’s event at Jubilee Park.
The carnival’s popular procession was axed a number of years ago due to health and safety laws, but last year organisers once again made a nod to the tradition by towing a float through the town. They are expected to do the same this year.
For more information contact the organisers on 01215 224044 or 07411 422990.
The deadline for entries is Friday, and the judging will take place on March 16 at Brook Street Community Centre.