An Indian restaurant has been shut down after inspectors found it had a vermin and cockroach infestation.
Walsall Council environmental health officers found mouse droppings covering the kitchen in a swoop on Caldmore Balti House on Monday.
Dirty food containers were also found on the Caldmore Road premises, Walsall Magistrates’ Court was told yesterday.
Environmental health officer Elizabeth Lee said the state of the restaurant’s kitchen and store room was a risk to the public’s health.
She said: “I had cause to visit after a complaint from a customer who said they saw a cockroach.
“When I walked into the kitchen I was immediately hit by the poor hygiene standards.
“It was dirty and containers with food in them were not clean.
“There were droppings on the shelves and on the floor.
“It was not a case of having to look for the droppings, they were peppering every surface I could see.”
The court was told the restaurant’s manager was Ibrar Hussain, who was not present during the hearing.
Ms Lee added that she visited the curry house before attending court yesterday.
She said three mice and a baby cockroach had been caught in traps.
Representing the council, Mrs Kerry Munroe made an application to stop the restaurant from trading.
She said: “The premises has a mice infestation and cockroaches have been found right throughout the preparation area.
“The environmental health officers state it has an immediate risk to health.”
District Judge Mr Michael Morris granted the authority’s application.
He said: “I have received evidence from the environmental health officer and also seen photographs of the state of the premises. I am also told there was evidence of mice being trapped this morning and also of a young cockroach.
“I am satisfied that in its present condition there is an immediate risk to health and have no hesitation granting the order to close the Caldmore Balti House forthwith.”
No-one from the restaurant was available to comment today.Subscribe to our Newsletter