New memorial stone is planned for Burntwood

Thousands of pounds will be spent on a new memorial stone in Burntwood, it emerged today.

Campaigners have applied for grants to pay for the memorial to honour former residents who have died in conflict.

It is now hoped that the memorial stone will be installed in time for next year’s Service of Remembrance. The move comes after years of campaigning. Currently there is a plaque in the entrance of Burntwood Institute that lists only those who have fallen in the First World War.

“This causes some embarrassment on Remembrance Sunday and does not do justice to those who have fallen in the service of their country since 1918,” said Peter Reynolds, a trustee of Burntwood Institute.

“This will finally put us on an equal footing with Chase Terrace and Chasetown, who both have memorial stones.”

It is proposed that the stone be placed in the grounds of the hall and include the names of all those from the parish who died in the Second World War and later conflicts.

The institute is run by volunteers who have applied for grants to pay for the memorial, which will cost several thousands of pounds.

Burntwood Town Council last week agreed a £400 contribution towards the cost. Some funding is still needed.

Town councillor Diane Evans said: “This is long overdue. People have wanted it for a long time.

“It’s important for relatives that all those locally who have lost their lives are recognised.”

A special guest list is being drawn up for the dedication ceremony.

Mr Reynolds is asking for relatives of those whose names will be included to get in touch with photographs for a tribute inside the hall.

Call 01543 672763 or email burntwood.bmca@ btconnect.com