The community has united to help a scout group after raiders smashed their way into the headquarters and stripped it of all the youngsters’ camping equipment.
Some 20 people have contacted the 1st Bromley – Pensnett group since the Express & Star reported on Monday’s break-in. They have offered to donate a new front door, a gazebo and a tent, along with gift sets and bouquets that can be raffled off to raise cash. Scout meetings had been temporarily cancelled until proper repairs could be carried out to the front door.
The meetings will be able to continue as soon as the door is replaced.
Lisa Passmore, volunteer and fundraiser for the group, today said she was “amazed” that people had been so generous.
Among the items stolen – thought to be worth between £2,000 and £3,000 – were 10 six-man tents, a water barrel, camping cooker, dining shelter, vacuum cleaner, electric generator, lawn mower, an axe and a bow saw. It is the second time in three months that the group has been burgarled, last time walkie talkies were stolen.
The youngsters – aged five to 16, most of them boys but including eight girls – are devastated by their loss.
The burglars broke into their HQ in Bromley, off Bromley Lane, Pensnett, some time between last Wednesday night and Monday night.
Miss Passmore said: “We’re really grateful to all the people that have got in touch, it shows that people are really generous.”
The gazebo was donated by Halfords, while the rest has come from residents who read about the thefts in Wednesday’s paper.
Police are investigating the raid and are appealing for information.