Radio 1's Grimshaw in hospital dash

Breakfast show host Nick Grimshaw had to quit his BBC Radio 1 show early after being taken to hospital for a scan after apparently swallowing a piece of glass.

Nick Grimshaw told listeners that he had swallowed "something weird"
Nick Grimshaw told listeners that he had swallowed "something weird"

The presenter told listeners that he had swallowed "something weird" and fellow DJ Fearne Cotton had to step in 45 minutes, ahead of her own scheduled programme.

Grimshaw went on to reassure his fans he was in good health after his hospital dash. He posted a message on Twitter which said: "Went to hospy, had X-rays, coughed it up, all fine now."

The foreign object is thought to have been in a mug from which he was drinking this morning.

Announcing he was abandoning the show early to get checked out, he told listeners: "I swallowed something weird in my drink. Now I have to go and make sure I'm OK at the hospital."

And he requested Cotton gave him a mention on on air, asking her during the handover: "Can I have a shout-out from 9.30?"

For more stories like this, visit our entertainment, lifestyle and events website nativemonster.com