The University of Wolverhampton is hosting a celebration at the House of Lords to celebrate investing £100 million in redeveloping the former Springfield brewery.
The ambitious regeneration project is creating one of Europe’s largest specialist construction and built environment campuses.
The reception at the House of Lords on May 10 hopes to go someway in recognising the impact of the development on the economy.
Key stakeholders, as well as university staff, will be present at the House of Lords for the event that celebrates what the project has achieved so far and the impact of the work still yet to be done.
Geoff Layer, vice-chancellor at the University of Wolverhampton, said: “We’re hosting a celebration event at the House of Lords to celebrate its investment of £100m in redeveloping the 12-acre site at the former Springfield brewery in Wolverhampton.
“The celebration event will recognise the efforts and commitment of partners who have invested time and money in the first phase of this ambitious project whilst at the same time highlighting that there are opportunities for developers, investors and partners to work with us on phase two of the project.”
Once completed, the project will see the Grade II listed building totally transformed to bring together businesses and the education sector.
The site is already home to the West Midlands Construction University Technical College.
The idea of the new college is to give 14-19 year olds the opportunity to study technically-orientated courses in IT and construction, with a focus on both the curriculum and practical employment skills.
Now plans are also progressing to build a School of Architecture and Built Environment and an Elite Centre for Manufacturing Skills. Plans are on track for the it to be open and take its first students by September next year.
At its peak, the Springfield Brewery was producing 1,500 barrels of beer a week and employing 900 people. The site was originally bought in 1873 by William Butler to house his brewing business, with the Springfield Brewery opening in 1874 under the William Butler and Company name.
In 1960 the company was taken over by Mitchells and Butlers, with a gradual decline in production at the site, until brewing ceased entirely at the site in 1990, with it closing entirely in 1991.
Bough Brewery – a micro-brewery, began producing Springfield Ale on the site in 2011.Subscribe to our Newsletter