Forcing benefits claimants to spend 35-hours-a-week applying for a job will end the "something for nothing culture", Iain Duncan Smith said today.
He said the pilot scheme, which will make the unemployed who cannot find work attend a job centre, would be targeted at those who looked as if they are about to drop out of the Work Programme.
The pilot scheme will ensure the long-term unemployed visit mandatory attendance centres at their local job centre to apply for interviews from 9am to 5pm every week day, the Work and Pensions Secretary said.
Under the Work Programme, private sector organisations and charities have been tasked with helping the unemployed find a job. And last week, Chancellor George Osborne announced the Help to Work scheme, which will force the unemployed to do community volunteering from next year if they want to claim their benefits.
Those who break the rules of the Help to Work scheme, for example by failing to turn up for duty without a good reason, could lose their benefit for four weeks. A second offence would see them lose it for three months.
Today at the Conservative Party Conference in Manchester, Mr Duncan Smith announced his further measure to get the long-term unemployed back to work.
Speaking in the main hall, he said: " I want to tell you about those who already showing early signs of not being able to commit to their obligations to work.
"Prior to the Work Programme, we are going to pilot a mandatory attendance centre where selected individuals will receive expert support and supervision while they search and apply for jobs - that is from 9am to 5pm, 35 hours a week for up to six months, simulating the working day.
"These pilots will be targeted at claimants who will benefit from the intensive support, one pilot before the Work Programme and one after the Work Programme.
"Alongside what we have already done with mandatory work programme and our tougher sanctions regime, this marks the end of the something for nothing culture."
Mr Duncan Smith told BBC Radio 4's The World At One that Britain could learn a lot from Germany when it came to profiling unemployed people and finding out who needed the most help to get back in to work.
He said the measures he announced today, including the attendance centres, were part of the attempts to give people a sense of a daily job.
Asked if the resources were available to fund the projects, Mr Duncan Smith added: "They are. In fact, the reason why we pilot this is we want to make sure we are doing the right thing.
"This is from learning from other people, it's learning really from hugely what the Germans do in profiling. I think we have been very poor at that in Britain. We tend to see everybody who is unemployed as just the same person and they are not."
Mr Duncan Smith said 75% of those unemployed were back in work within six months and the aim was to assist the other 25%.
He said he could not guarantee people would receive money for their fares to travel daily to attendance centres but said they could be eligible for cash from the flexible support fund.
Pushed if money would be there for people on benefits who find that cash is tight, Mr Duncan Smith: "I'm not guaranteeing that because what I am actually saying is that we expect them to do this anyway even in their homes so the attendance centres will be close to where they are anyway. They are not going to be travelling long distances."